The human body has a subtle energy system with hundreds of locations containing focused and concentrated energy. However, there are seven major energy centers, which represent one of the most foundational subtle energy systems called the chakras. Chakras are spinning vortexes of energy located within the etheric body running from the pubic area all the way up the torso into the crown of our head. We receive, transmit and process life energies through the chakras and each one is recognized as a focal point for life-force relating to spiritual, physical, mental, and emotional energies.
Muladhara – Root Chakra
The first chakra is called the root or base chakra – Muladhara chakra. Located at the very bottom of the spine the energetic expression is like a plate of energy vibrating out from the pubic area. It is the grounding connection between our material bodies and the earth, the relationship to our family and friends as well as the foundation of money that supports us in taking care of our most basic physical needs.
The Sanskrit name – Muladhara – means ‘foundation’, it represents the family we are born into, our ancestral patterns, our DNA. Every other chakra only receives the energy that the root chakra can pass through to it.
When open and balanced, the Root Chakra brings health, prosperity, security and a dynamic presence, reflecting the powerful connection with the world around us.
Is Your Root Chakra Open?
Answer the following questions:
- I have addictive tendencies
- I have lots of good ideas, but have trouble materializing them
- Routine things confuse or bore me
- I worry a lot about survival
- My life is stressful
- Security is the most important thing to me
- In order to reach a higher plane, I have to suffer in my physical existence
- I have a lot of physical pain – Difficulty with accessing the earth energy can express itself in discomfort in our physical body, especially legs, hips, knees, ankles, feet and lower back.
When the Root Chakra is imbalanced or closed you may loose your sense of identity, confidence, security and perspective. When the energy is closed, off or traumatized, your life reflects this back to you and you may struggle with money, you may have career problems and you might have problems in your relationships with the people who are meant to support you.
Being the foundation of the energy system, having an active and balanced Muladhara Chakra is key to a healthy energy flow.
One of the unique aspects of our Naked Yoga is that it lets you play with Asanas (yoga poses), Bhandas (energy locks), Pranayama (breath work) and Chakras (energy systems).
There are many ways to balance the Root Chakra:
- Dancing and practicing Yoga are some very grounding activities.
- Going barefoot connects to the earth.
- Focus and wear the color red, imagining your Root Chakra.
- Using scents, crystals and positive affirmations like: ‘I know who I am’, ‘I love life’, ‘I am thankful’, ‘I am grateful’ and ‘I am open to life’ to connect to the Spirit.
Location: In the perineum at the base of the spine
Color: Red / Black
Rules: Physical Energies
Astrological sign: Taurus
Energy Content: Tribal Power
Glands/Organs: Prostate gland in men, adrenals, kidneys, spinal column, colon, legs, bones
Type of Music: Drumming
Aspect of intelligence: Administrative
Crystals: Ruby, Bloodstone and Hematite
Mythological Animal: White elephant with seven trunks
Scent: Cedar Wood, Patchouli, Rose Geranium and Clove
“The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.” ~ M. Angelou